Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Birmingham
Victims of spinal cord injuries (SCIs) can experience devastating consequences, including complete or partial paralysis and an unexpected steep financial burden. Approximately 17,500 new SCI cases are occurring each year and when these cases are due to someone else’s negligence, victims have the right to hold the liable party accountable.
If you or someone you love has suffered an SCI at the fault of another, contact the highly experienced spinal cord injury attorneys at Ifediba Law Group, P.C.. We will skillfully advocate for you and build the strongest possible case on your behalf. Call or fill out our online contact form for a free consultation today.
Why Choose Us
- We dedicate ourselves to keeping a constant and open line of communication with our clients.
- Because we only take a select number of cases, you will receive the personalized attention you deserve.
- Our attorneys work one-on-one with you to process any legal matters in association with your case.
- We provide highly effective legal counsel as a result of our 20 years of experience recovering compensation for spinal cord injury victims.
What is a Spinal Cord Injury?
A spinal cord injury consists of damage to any part of the spinal cord or the nerves within the spinal column, affecting sensation, strength and possibly other body functions below the injury site. Symptoms depend on the location and severity of the injury on the spinal cord.
The severity is classified as either complete or incomplete:
Complete: all sensory feeling and motor function below the injury site is lost.
Incomplete: some sensory and motor function below remains below the affected area. There are varying degrees of incomplete injury.
Typical symptoms that can be caused by an SCI are:
- Altered or lost sensation
- Loss of movement
- Spasms or exaggerated reflexes
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Sexual function changes
- Damage to nerve fibers causing an intense stinging sensation
- Clearing of secretions from lungs
- Difficulty breathing
SCIs involving paralysis are known as:
Tetraplegia: also referred to as quadriplegia. The arms, hands, trunk, legs and pelvic organs are all affected by the SCI.
Paraplegia: affects all or part of the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
The most common causes of spinal cord injuries are:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car, motorcycle, and truck accidents are the leading cause of SCIs, accounting for almost half of new cases each year.
- Falls: Cause more than 15% of SCIs.
- Acts of Violence: About 12% of SCIs are due to acts of violence that often involve gunshot and knife wounds.
- Sports and Recreation Injuries: Impact sports or diving in shallow water, among other recreational activities, cause around 10% of spinal cord injuries.
Contact the Ifediba Law Group, P.C. Today for Help
Serious spinal cord injuries can cost over a million dollars in medical and living expenses in the first year alone. Working with a lawyer who has extensive experience in SCI cases, will increase your chances of obtaining financial compensation for your losses, such as past and future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Our spinal cord injury attorneys at Ifediba Law Group, P.C. have been providing high-quality legal representation for over 20 years. Having litigated a broad range of spinal cord injury cases, we know what it takes to construct the best possible case and yield successful outcomes. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no out-of-pocket costs to you unless we obtain compensation for you. Call to schedule a free consultation today or fill out our online contact form.